16-19 Bursary Fund
A key priority of the government is to eliminate the gap in attainment between those from poorer and more affluent backgrounds, and to ensure that every young person participates in and benefits from a place in 16-19 education and training. The government provides funding to tackle disadvantage both through the YPLA’s funding formula and through support to help young people meet the costs of participating in education and training post-16.
The 16-19 Bursary Fund has two elements:
- Young people in care, care leavers, young people in receipt of income support and disabled young people in receipt of Employment Support Allowance who are also in receipt of Disability Living Allowance will be eligible to receive a bursary of £1,200 a year.
- Providers may then use their discretion to make awards to young people in ways that best fit the needs and circumstances of their students. Bursary awards should be targeted towards young people facing financial barriers to participation, such as costs of transport, meals, books and equipment.
Following the guidelines set out by The Young People’s Learning Agency (YPLA) – www.gov.uk/1619-bursary-fund – The Knights Templar School has devised the following guidelines and criteria:
The school will allocate the £1,200 per student to those who are:
- In receipt of Income Support.
- A care leaver.
- In care.
- Disabled and in receipt of both Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance.
The school will then divide what is left by those who are on our Free School Meals Register. Eligibility will be reviewed every half term.
Those in receipt of Income Support, Employment Support or Disability Living Allowance, must attach copies of the appropriate documents showing eligibility for these allowances. The school will already be aware of those in care, care leavers and those who are eligible for free school meals. Eligibility will be reviewed every half term.
- Payments will be made each half term by cheque to students.
- Full attendance is required for the half term – any absences have to be accounted for.
Applicants should direct any general queries to the web address above or for more school specific information, please contact the school’s Finance Office.