Speaking a foreign language is a skill and like any skill you get better at it the more you practise.
Homework is an essential part of becoming more proficient in a language. It is an opportunity....
- to practise further the skills of using the language
- to become more independent in the use of language
- to be able to concentrate by yourself on developing your expertise
- to enjoy using the language creatively
No-one knows every word in a language and no-one can just remember words without effort. Even your teachers are still actively developing their vocabulary. Regular learning of new words and structures is an essential part of making progress in a language. We normally set a few words a week to learn and we often test these next lesson via a mini-test.
- break up the homework into 10 minute slots - spaced out from when the homework was set to when it will be tested
- associate words with pictures / similar English words
- write down hard words repeatedly
- get someone to test you
The text book should always be the first source of help. Dictionaries are useful tools if used correctly (as indeed can online translators). However, it is important to remember that they are best used for individual nouns rather than sentences or even most verbs.
Online translators should not be used to translate whole sentences:
a) they often produce rubbish: follow this link if you don't believe us!!
- guiding rather than doing
- encouraging and checking rather than writing
- testing new words